Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April 17, 2013

Click or tap on images to enlarge.

During my travels throughout Rwanda, I've met some very interesting people.  The folks below are all doing their part to introduce concepts like family planning, malaria prevention and gender-based violence prevention.  I was particularly taken with the Lutheran priest who actively taught his congregation about all types of family planning (including female birth control and vasectomy).  He knew that he was taking a risk as a leader of his church, but felt it was imperative to the health of his community.

Priest meditates on his next sermon.

Awaiting his congregation.

This family was being taught about the various forms of birth control available to them in their remote Rwandan village in the Eastern Province.

This woman had once been the victim of gender-based violence, but through community intervention and training, she and her husband have learned to change their behaviors and stay married.

1 comment:

  1. Love the first two pictures. The first is, well, "artsy." Dark, almost foreboding, with the contrast of the white collar. Just great! The second picture made me "feel" death - then I stepped back in my mind's eye and realized that the source of that feeling was the rectangular box that framed the man as if he was in a coffin. It moved me.

    ReplyDelete